Monday, January 24, 2011

German Panckes from powdered eggs



When I first was married, my sister-in-law Sharon told me there were two things my husband loved to eat, and asked for ever time he was at her house, German pancakes and peanut butter bars.  She gave me both recipes and we have been making them ever since.

Never heard of German Pancakes? They are sometimes referred to as dutch baby pancakes. They are a sweet breakfast dish similar to Yorkshire pudding, and is kind of like a thick sweet crepe.  They ares made with eggs, flour, and milk. And are great served with lemon, butter, powdered sugar, or fruit toppings or syrup.  As you cook the batter it puffs up creating hills and valleys. when you take it out of the oven it often deflates. That is okay it is still wonderful. 

German Pancakes
Preheat oven to 400
Melt 6 TBSP butter in a 9 x 13 pan
6 Tablespoons powdered eggs, plus 3/4 cup water, mixed very well, I use my immersion blender for about 3 minutes
1 c flour
1 c milk
½ tsp salt

Mix all together and pour on top of melted butter. Cook for 20 minutes or until golden. Brown. Feed 6-9

**Note  I use THRIVE Powdered Whole Eggs for this recipe.  I have tried it with other brands and they do not work.